Monday, May 14, 2007

Weddings 101


As I have experienced over the years, there is a right way to have a wedding and a wrong way. I have seen everything from beautiful ceremonies and gracious hosts to complete disregard for guests and lack of planning.

I am, admittedly, slightly obsessed with being the perfect hostess. It explains my subscription to Martha Stewart Living, why I have read all 896 pages of Emily Post’s Etiquette and the fact that I will go so far as to monogram chocolate covered strawberries.

On the advice of Van’s sister and to appease my own obsession, I bought Emily Post’s Wedding Etiquette even before Van and I were engaged. I have, of course, already read it cover to cover and most of the guidelines have been committed to memory.

Armed with the bible of all etiquette books, Van and I began planning our wedding. Guided by such thorough explanations of decorum for every aspect of the wedding, planning has become a breeze. We know exactly how the bridal party should be seated at the head table, what type of bouquet will match the formality of our wedding and the exact wording of our invitations.

Following proper etiquette doesn’t make your wedding cost more. It simply ensures a pleasant experience for your guests and less stress for the bride and groom. Trust me, I know.

No comments: