Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Making A Good Impression

A couple of Saturdays ago, I attended the American University’s PRSSA Regional Activity. I spent 2 hours talking to students as part of a networking lunch and a workshop session. I brought my portfolio and offers to help and much to my surprise students are taking me up on it.

Over the last few days, emails started trickling in from students with notes of gratitude and addition questions. While I’m quite excited to get to know these students better, I’m questioning my level of authority.

I have been out of college for almost two years now and I can tell that there is a huge difference in the level of experience that I have versus someone fresh out of college. I know how much that I have grown over the last couple of years. I will and have always been honest with students about the good and the bad of the working world. I always try to keep my experience framed in the context of my experience and remind students that I just one of many professionals.

Proving advice and guidance is always tricky. I would never want to inadvertently steer someone down the wrong path. Is there a Dear Abby for Dear Abbies?

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I don't know if there's a Dear Abby for Dear Abby but there are mentors for mentors! And you can always call me if you need a "seasoned" point of view!