Thursday, January 18, 2007

Pop Culturally Challenged

I am, at times, pop culturally challenged. I couldn’t tell you what is happening on Desperate Housewives and I have never seen an episode of Lost or 24. I also couldn’t tell you what happens in the Sound of Music. I just can’t get past the “I am 16 going on 17.” It makes me cringe.

Movies are perhaps my biggest weakness. I just don’t watch them. The few movies that I have actually seen are a random mishmash of the people I spend time with.

My brother is the eclectic, Tarantino, and classics. With Van I watch all the frat boy’s favorites like Beerfest, Wedding Crashers and any movie that doesn’t have a happy ending. My friend Sarah is my excuse for watching ‘chick flicks.’

I have never seen Casablanca, but I have seen Cowboy Bee-Bop. I don’t even know the premise of A Streetcar Named Desire, but I could tell you all about Shaun of the Dead.

Most people could say that they have seen at least 25 percent of the AFI’s top 100 films. I could say that I have probably seen 10.

Sure I am occasionally left in the dark when someone utters a famous movie quote, but am I so far behind? Maybe I know just enough to get by. I have, actually, seen Gone With the Wind, West Side Story and Schindler’s List.

When it comes down to it, I just don’t think about spending my free time watching a movie. I would rather watch the Food Network, visit with friends or take a walk.

3 comments:

Adam said...

I Own more of AfI's top 100 then you've seen. it's sad is what it is.

El Grande Pollo De La Muerte said...

B/t me and your brother we've probably seen not only AFI's Top 100, but Leonard Maltin's top 1000.

Wendy said...

Ace of Cakes! Love that show. We also watch the Food Network...

I love movies, but have no time to go to them. Or even to watch at home. I miss it terribly.