Monday, January 22, 2007

Overheard

Last Friday, I was taking the train home and happened to sit next to this middle-aged man. He was wearing gray suit and a black top coat. He seemed like your typical DC businessman.

He was listening to music on his iPod and at first it wasn’t really distinguishable so I didn’t think anything about it. Then I started to hear something that reminded me of a familiar tune, but it just seemed out of place so I didn’t pay much attention.

A couple of seconds later I heard, “Bad, Bad, Bad, Bad boys –you make me feel so good.” This guy was totally rockin out to the Miami Sound Machine.

As the song progressed, the guy started swaying to the music and tapping his feet. He was so thoroughly enjoying the song.

I couldn’t help, but be amused as I heard “Boys will be boys – bad boys, bad boys” repeat over and over. I was trying really hard not to laugh. I just really wasn’t expecting that song to be coming from that man. I guess I thought he was more a Coltrane type.

I’m sure that the guy didn’t realize that I could hear his music so clearly. And really, I am pretty sure that even if he knew, he wouldn’t have cared.

No comments: