Friday, June 01, 2007

One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer

Okay, it was really one Bourbon, one Scotch (single malt) and one really tasty glass of wine. Anyway, I digress. Last night I had an impromptu lesson in the finer points of bourbon and scotch. Here is what I learned:

Bourbon is an American form of whiskey made in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Typically 70 percent corn and the remainder being wheat and/or rye and malted barley, Bourbon is aged for four years.

Barley is always the grain used in Scotch and “single” indicates that all the malts in the bottle came from the same distillery. Most single malt Scotch is aged 10 years.

So what did I think?

Well, the Bourbon was excellent, very smooth and was quite enjoyable, but I liked the Scotch better.

2 comments:

honeykbee said...

That was not only educational, but inspiring. Off to happy hour I go!

Wendy said...

I am definitely a bourbon girl. Makers Mark.