Monday, December 04, 2006

What do you do when there isn’t a plan?

There are times when I just wish I could go home. I want to go back to being a kid. Life was so simple. I always had a plan. Life was perfectly mapped out. I would eventually graduate high school (that seemed like it would never happen), I would go to college and get a job. When you are 13, this is a great plan.

Now I’m 24, I have a job and I don’t have a plan. All upcoming milestones have no foreseeable date. Sure, I’ll get married one day and I’ll probably have a kid or two or four. I miss the count-down.

I could always tell you how many days/months/years until I finished high school or graduated college. I miss being able to prattle off the next step without a thought.

Of course I have my BS answer to a plan. Oh, I would love to get my PR accreditation and I think that getting my masters would be a great way to continue to grow in the profession.

Realistically, I am way too poor to even dream about going back to school. Maybe, when I have finished paying for my undergrad and am willing to give up my evenings and weekends, I will consider going back to school an option. As far as getting my APR – no one cares, especially in the nonprofit world.

I just want to know where to go and what to do. (Sorry, Wendy, the magic 8 ball didn’t help.) I want the reassurance that I am making the right decision. I want to stop second-guessing myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No matter how hard I try to plan, it always goes astray. I long ago quite making a plan, and now just go with the flow. The result has been I am more content.

My Kids Furniture

honeykbee said...

It's good to have so many options, so many doors that can open before you. You can always try one or two without completely changing paths, no?

Hey and don't forget, there's always the countdown to retirement!

Wendy said...

Sorry the 8ball was a bust. Sorry, but this is really trite... stop thinking and start living. You are on your path. This IS your path. Look at the things that are on your way. At a crossroads, you'll always *know* which to choose. You'll feel it. Have faith.