Thursday, December 07, 2006

I Wish You a Kate Spade Christmas

I have now officially entered my holiday panic. I am planning on going to Atlantic City next weekend for Sarah and Scott’s birthday party. That is going to be an all weekend event and so this weekend is my last weekend before Christmas.

Usually I am on top of the holiday checklist. By this time, I have picked out Christmas cards, purchased gifts and just have a few last minute things to do. This year I haven’t even started and I have to do everything this weekend.

In an effort to make productive use of my time, I decided to find some Christmas cards during lunch. I always manage to find great Chaunukah cards, it’s just difficult to find 20 or so fun boxed Christmas cards that don’t cost a fortune.

Part of the problem is that I am a freak about cards. I love sending them. I will search and search to find the right card for a person. Not only does the card have to be perfect for the recipient, but I feel that it has to represent me. So you can see my dilemma.

I started my search at Borders and to no avail. Sure they had plenty of cards, but nothing that really stood out. There were a lot of old fashioned holiday scenes, but nothing really modern and kind of graphic. I like penguins and snowmen, maybe reindeer or mixed drinks – you know something fun.

Feeling a little discouraged I headed to the stationary store around the corner. I sifted through piles and piles of cards, still not having any luck. As I headed to the other side of the store, I saw them. Very graphic, very colorful and totally me. Hope, Peace and Cookies – exactly what the holidays should be.

I picked up the box and realized they were Kate Spade cards. I could feel the sinking feeling in my stomach. This wasn’t going to be pretty, but I had to see how much they cost.

$34. That’s right - $34 for 10 cards. It would cost me $68 not including tax to send a card to everyone on my list.

I really do love Kate Spade. If I could, I would live in the Kate Spade world. I even went so far as getting a chocolate brown Kate Spade cover for my iPod, but I feel that getting $68 Kate Spade Christmas cards crosses a line. Seriously, it’s paper. What magical trees did she cut down because those cards sure weren’t printed on recycled paper?

So for all that effort, I’m back to square one. Hopefully I’ll find something I like this weekend. In the meantime, I hope that everyone enjoys the photo – it’s the card that you won’t be receiving this year.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Very cute card. I found some great ones online - not crazy expensive. PLUS all the cards are already on sale at Barnes & Noble. Check it out!