Thursday, September 07, 2006

Thou Shall Not Damage Thy Boyfriend’s Golf Clubs

Last night I committed one of the mortal sins for any girlfriend. I am fully guilty of sin number three – Thou shall not damage thy boyfriend’s golf clubs, especially when they are new. (In case you are wondering, number one is cheating and two is wrecking the car.)

I am one of those people with a gift for the unlikely. I should have known that using Van’s new clubs at the driving range as I was learning wasn’t a smart idea.

Sunday and Monday passed at the range without incident. I was actually doing pretty well until last night. Van was stressed and thought that going to the driving range would be a good way to unwind. As usual, I was along for the ride.

We got a basket of balls and Van went first. I took my turn and was doing pretty miserably. Somehow, instead of getting better I was getting worse. It was time for my second turn, I put the ball on the tee, pulled my arms back and WHACK - I hit the ball holder. Upon closer inspection, Van discovered that I had actually dented his driver.

This was the first time since we have been dating that he has been really, truly angry with me and I was furious at myself because I knew how much these clubs meant to him. Let’s just say that the ride home was less than pleasant.

The whole time he never raised his voice. Honestly, I probably would have felt better if he would have yelled at me. He was amazingly calm, but I could tell how mad he was.

Eventually, we did make up and we survived the first big test of our relationship. This experience reminded me how grateful I am for character of the man I am with.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Yikes! Well, it's a wonderful testiment to the kind of man you chose.