Monday, September 25, 2006

The Next Big Thing

The other day I was walking through the Borders across the street from my office on one of my many lunchtime excursions. I was wondering around like I usually do without purpose. I made my way past the magazines and began my loop around the upstairs when I encountered shelf after shelf of Christmas cards.

I was a little surprised, but relented. I understand that it is technically fall and people do send their cards right after Thanksgiving, therefore, they do need to buy them in advance. I get the marketing. I figured that the best thing to do was to ignore them and continue on my way.

I was still contemplating the cards when I wound up right in the middle of a huge display of 2007 calendars. Now this is where I draw the line.

Seriously I understand the need to plan ahead, but is this year so bad that we can't wait to skip ahead?

Why must we always be searching for the next big thing? We can’t be happy to have the Christmas cards; we have to have the calendars too? Why can't we be content with the way things are at this very moment.

Maybe, the problem is that we don't let the little things that are happening at this moment bring us joy. Sure when we catch the train we are happy or if things don't fall apart at work it's a good day. Shouldn't we be exuberant that we spent one more day with someone we loved, that there was food in the fridge or that we were simply alive?

Frankly, I refuse to trade in every good day that I have left in 2006 for some what-if dream about 2007.

1 comment:

Ryane said...

It is somewhat overstated, but "be here now" has served me well in the past. You are very correct.. why do we rush ahead to the next big thing, when we might be missing out on the current great thing that is now? I HATE to see Christmas displays in September...just as I hate to see Halloween in August.