Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Putt-Putt

This weekend my boyfriend and I finally faced off. We have been talking about going to play putt-putt (or miniature golf as Van likes to call it – it’s another of our pop vs. soda battles) since we first started dating.

I am not a competitive person by nature - my boyfriend, on the other hand, wants nothing more than to crush his opponents so badly that their children tremble in fear when he walks by. (Seriously – I am not exaggerating.) Until this point, we have for one reason or another, not gotten into direct competition, but the time had finally come.

I’m fairly decent at putt- putt so I felt pretty confident that I could make it a close game. Van and I picked up our equipment and decided on the course. “So what’s the wager?” he asked as we approached the first hole. All hopes of this being a quiet, friendly game disappeared. We quickly settled on the loser buying a golf glove for the winner – the stakes weren’t too high so I was feeling better.

Van took the first shot and the game was on. To my surprise, I won the first hole and then the next two. My confidence was building and by the end of the 9th hole I had a four stroke lead. I admit that I was feeling the rush of competition.

Right about the 11th hole Van lost his ball in water and had to get a replacement. Let’s just say - new ball: good for Van and bad for me. On the 14th hole all evidence of my lead had vanished and the last four holes are too painful to talk about.

Final score: Van 80, Katie 87.

As competitive as Van is, I have to say that he was gracious winner and he didn’t tease me about it too much, but I am officially calling for a rematch.

No comments: