Friday, August 25, 2006

Stop Staring at My Cupcakes!

For those of you who don't know, I love to bake - and by bake I'm talking Martha-Stewart-
from-scratch-baking. My confections are most frequently created for my coworkers. I love to bring in some goody for a birthday or just because.

Once completed my cake, cookies, etc. must make the arduous journey on the Metro from my apartment to my office downtown. Last Friday proved to be another adventure on the Metro trekking a glazed lemon pound cake into work as birthday surprise for one of my coworkers.

In the year that I have lived in DC, I have come to realize that few things excite curious stares and interesting comments like a freshly-baked goody in a crowded rush hour train.

Typically, the curious glance and smile as I precariously balance a plate of cookies, my work bag and hang on as the train slams to a halt at each stop, is an amusing way to start the day. I am always grateful to people who offer their seat, but I must admit that there have been times when the curious glances have turned into all-out envious stares.

I have found that nothing solicits these stares like my colorfully iced cupcakes. I am not really one for being the center of attention and I find it is slightly disconcerting to have someone stare at me for the duration of my ride to work.

While I admit that my cupcakes are slightly out-of-place on the morning train – and I have no qualms with the curious glances, I must say that I would appreciate it if people would stop staring at my cupcakes.

2 comments:

Katie said...

they can't help it. people in the early morning, stuffed into crowded trains, and off to boring jobs, they need cupcakes to make their lives better. I bet the people looking at your cupcakes went and bought some.

Anonymous said...

A glance or two is fine but come on. I have been in an elevator with cookies and strangers have actually asked me if they could have one! Do I know you? No - then you had better leave my cookies and me alone!