Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Need to Fix:
Some Think it’s Meddling – I’m Going with Mediating

Okay – granted there are few times when you absolutely should not step in, but is it really that wrong to want to fix things?

Typically, women are notorious for stepping into situations that aren’t necessarily theirs to begin with. We have that urge to make sure everyone is happy and often times forgo the possible consequences.

As I am venting to my boyfriend (whom I love dearly) about the present situation, he simply asks, “Why did you get yourself involved? “Didn’t you learn from the last time you got in middle of your friends and it backfired?”

Well, no, apparently I didn’t learn because here I am. As much as I hate to admit it, he has a point.

So where does that leave me?

I know that as hard as I try I will still on occasion attempt to “mediate” situations. I know also that occasionally my efforts won’t work out as planed. When that happens, shouldn’t I (and all other mediators) be granted some clemency? Our efforts are strictly driven by a desire for everyone to be happy and in my book that’s not such a bad thing.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Alas. It's just not realistic. Some people don't want their situations fixed. Some people just don't want to be happy.

Doesn't mean it isn't a nice goal. (BTW, I do that too.)